* Go-ahead for 18.7 megawatts of decentralised power generation
* Second Joint Venture project of RWE Innogy Italia and Fri-El Green Power
RWE Innogy Italia today signed the agreement for the construction of the first biomass cogeneration plant in Sicily. The company will be the majority owner of the power plant and owns 90 per cent of the project shares together with its joint venture partner Fri-El Green Power. The remaining 10 per cent are held by the Roman company Infrastrutture e Gestioni S.p.A.. From a present planning perspective, the work for the construction of the biomass plant is to begin before the end of this year. Commissioning is due late in 2012. The biomass cogeneration plant has a capacity of 18.7 megawatts and is designed for a power generation output of 128,000 megawatt-hours. This is enough to supply about 30,000 residential households with electricity per year. The investment volume amounts to € 61 million.
Fritz Vahrenholt, Chief Executive Officer of RWE Innogy: ”Europe will not achieve its climate targets without biomass. This is why RWE Innogy pursues an integrated biomass strategy across the entire value chain ranging from plantations to pelletising of fresh wood onto the construction and operation of the cogeneration plants. In Germany we are already among the leaders in this sector. Our first plant in Italy is an important step for the continued internationalisation of our biomass business.”
For Stephan Lohr, Chief Executive Officer of RWE Innogy Cogen GmbH, RWE Innogy’s subsidiary for biomass, it is very important that the scheme is compatible with the specific conditions on site: “The integrated supply concept provides for the use of local biomass for decentralised energy production and a close cooperation with the Italian partners. Enna is the ideal location for this.” Long-term agreements are already in place for the supply of wood from the regional eucalyptus tree plantations with over 20,000 hectares. Moreover, nearby woodlands and unused agricultural areas offer various options for biomass production.
Currently, renewable energies contribute to the Italian electricity generation with 6,8 per cent. This value shall increase up to 17 per cent by 2020. In Italy electricity generation from renewables is primarily supported through a “green certificate” system. Electricity providers are obliged to offer a certain percentage of energy through renewable schemes. In future, they can be free of this obligation by buying-in green certificates.
Source: REW Innogy